Monday, October 29, 2007

Happy Fall--Decor on the fly




Here's a few ideas to use your supply stash to make your home or gifts look festive for the season:

Arrangement tags and beaded candle (Top Photo)--I "arranged" purchased silk flower bushes from the craft store. If you buy the flowers already clustered it's really a matter of putting foam in vase and sticking them in. Next I filled in the base of the arrangement with orange ribbon to cover gaps. Then tied brown and orange ribbon around the neck of the base before hanging two Crafty Secrets tags on tiny ribbons to dangle there. Tags shown better in next close up photo. TIP: Use a great vase like this handmade pottery one. Naturally, my vase was $2.00 at the thrift store. -grin-

The candle is one I want to burn while having dinner guests so it is unscented (read cheaper to buy). I placed in a simple brass holder made for a wider candle and surrounded the base with beads. I strung more beads on a wire and wrapped the candle with it. Attach the wire with fall colored or gold mini-brads. They look pretty and work great.

Flamingo for Fall (third photo down)--Naturally I love my Florida Flamingos so I had to decorate one for fall that will go on our screen porch table. Use Crafty Secrets cut out or other paper art and wire to make a sign hanging with wire from the neck of your animal. I added a Spellbinder's pumpkin die cut and gem stone to the cut out. Tie an orange bow around the neck of the animal to finish it off. This technique works great with lawn ornaments and any animal figure you have around the house. Try it and you'll be chuckling all day.

Wine gift box with tag (bottom photo)--Unlike the first three projects that I made today, this one was made last year so some of you may have seen it. I purchased a great wine gift box and filled it with a nice bottle. Then I used ribbon bow and a silk flower on the handle. The gift tag was made with a plain Avery tag decorated with a Stampington stamp and the rose die cut from Spellbinders. This is the perfect hostess gift for fall and I used mine for a fall anniversary present.

All of these projects involve taking store-bought items and adding handmade touches. Think of it as "altered crafting." You may not have time to create everything from scratch--but you can add festive touches in just a few moments.

These projects are dedicated to my incredible mother who always changed the decor for every season and added special touches for guests. My version of things may not be as exquisite as hers--but I honor and appreciate her all the same. Thanks Mom!

No comments: