Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Within Reach Doctrine



The InspirationWe were watching the History Channel President series this week and I was reminded of the Monroe Doctrine. While the Within Reach Doctrine does not have such lofty ambitions—I have arbitrarily created it and I highly recommend adherence in the world of paper art. The benevolent dictator hath spoken…smile.

I finished the second layout for my wedding book on Saturday. Not that I’ve actually come near finishing the honeymoon album, but back to the topic at hand. Often, when I haven’t finished a theme album I conserve the scraps to use on subsequent pages. In end, I have a huge pile of scraps instead of the smaller ones after a two-page layout.

The best solution for a theme album is to create page elements for upcoming layouts. However, even that can backfire on me and while the scrap pile is smaller, the pile of pre-made elements that need to be put on cards or SOMEwhere is now too large.

The Doctrine
Hence The Within Reach Doctrine which reads as follows: Use the leftover supplies from the completion of a project along with any items within reach of your workspace to create something from the scraps. In other words, leave no scrap unturned.

The Doctrine in Action
The projects shown here are from my most recent adherence to the WR doctrine. The layout is called “dance” and features a professional 5” x 7” photo taken by Palm Beach Photography. I used a sketch to make designing easy and papers from multiple manufacturers including Club Scrap (background) DCV (prints from two different collections) and Marko Papers (the stone finish mauve). Other supplies include letter stamps by Tim Holtz, Ranger ink, Offray ribbon, Sakura ink pen, pastels, Spellbinders scalloped circle and doodles die cuts with the Wizard machine.

Once the page was finished, I created a 5.5” square card with same papers, a Tim Holtz stamp, and even a variation of the sketch. I scored the stone mauve card stock to make the top lift up and reveal a message underneath.

Now that I’m in full compliance with the WR Doctrine, I will be sending neutral inspectors commissioned by the United Paper Crafters to inspect your work area. Be on the look out….

No comments: