Friday, July 8, 2011

ATC Time Traveling---A visit to the 20's with Three Muses


Three Muses challenged me to create an Artist Trading Card with a 1920’s inspiration. Like my marvelous friend and talented artist, Annette Dragon, I often stray outside of the boundaries even when the boundaries are self imposed. The challenge was to make any type of art with a 1920’s theme and I chose the ATC as my format before I proceeded to violate one of the first rules of ATC creation by making mine 3-D and putting it on a stick.

Materials:

Paper Temptress Card Stock: Star Dream Opal and Nero
Hero Arts G2812 Woman in Profile Artprints™ series rubber stamp
Designer Paper: K & Company
Old dictionary page, tiny green scrap
Bic Mark It™ coloring pens
Ranger Alcohol blending solution
EK Success water barrel brush (filled with blending solution)
Memories Black Ink
Copper & gold sewing thread
Beaded Fringe
Wooden skewer
Sakura Gel Pens—white, pale blue, and copper
¼” black foam adhesive
Golden gloss gel medium

Process and Artistic Observations:

--I thought of this stamp immediately when I read the challenge. I love the flapper style hair on the model. Since the stamp is smaller than standard ATC size it was fun and easy to just create a backing matte from the gorgeous Nero card stock.


Better view of card stock
 -The Star Dream Opal card stock base is a real dream to work with (yes, I had to go for that pun). The Memories dye ink stamped perfectly on the card stock but I wanted a more vintage effect so I blended the alcohol markers around much of the stamped script portions.

-Speaking of alcohol markersThe Bic Mark it™ pens glided beautifully over the paper and blended perfectly with alcohol blending solution.

-Technique used on the focal image of the design is stamped paper piecing. Stamp the image on several different styles and textures of paper and then cut out portions and glue them to the base stamped image. I used designer prints for the cut portions and colored those with markers as well.

-The paper pieces were applied with gel medium to allow more time for positioning before the adhesive dried. I also covered the image in a layer of the gel medium to give it more of an artsy appearance.

-The paper rose was created during my “blooming” flower obsession and saved for this project. See more about creating paper flowers in this article and on my web site.

-My friend and accomplished artist/instructor, Lynn Barwald and I love to joke about how everything is better on a stick. I used markers and gel pens to paint the wooden skewer in coordinating colors and sandwiched between the layers of the ATC for a fresh presentation.

Learn more about other great things you can do with finished ATC on my web site.
http://www.nachattin.com/artfulspiritATC.html

5 comments:

indybev said...

Standing ovation!! This beautiful ATC-on-a-stick is a super addition to our collection of things 1920 this week. Thanks for sharing the journey of its creation as well, and thanks for joining us!

kristie said...

I love it Norma ann!! beautiful work as usual!

Taluula said...

3D ATCs on a stick are the way to go, who wants to create 'inside the box' anyway? Thank you so much for joining in this week. Bravo.

Junibears said...

This is just wonderful! Beautiful work! xx

Taluula said...

Oh, I know I have already commented on this fabulous piece, Norma ... but Blogger ate it! Anyway here I am again because I must tell you this is so beautifully created and so outside the box ... which I love. Kudos my friend.