Sunday, April 12, 2020

I stopped Scrapping

Somewhere between collage art, visual journals, altered art and card making, my scrapbooks fell by the wayside. Scrapbooks, my legacy art, one of my favorite hobbies, just didn't seem as interesting to me and I stopped. I didn't stop meeting my creative friends for day long (occasionally weekend) retreats, I just stopped making scrapbooks.

one of my Project Life layouts from 2014, the year I began Project Life


My devotion to legacy art, my term for scrap-booking, hasn't ended. My commitment to cherishing memories remains strong. I continue to love collecting  actual scraps of paper from notebooks, tickets, lists, event programs and the bottom of desk drawers. Every person who knows me will confirm that I still adore taking photos.

Enter Project Life(tm). Project Life products are designed by Becky Higgins, a celebrity in the world of scrap-booking, to provide an easy and creative way to document your life. Her initial premise was to use "pocket pages" and create one page every week filled with photos and notes and souvenirs. 

I LOVED this idea. It felt like visual journaling and scrap-booking combined forces to be my new super hero. 

When I first tried Project Life I thought I'd do a page every week just like Becky suggested. Sadly, I didn't have the strength to meet the weekly goals. However, I quickly decided that this was the best way to preserve my memories and document my wonderful life. It moved my photos from the camera to the page with speed and creative freedom.

Naturally, I have found a way to make page creation last longer by writing loads of notes and by creating miniature works of art to go in at least one of the many available pockets. All in all, it's been a fun experience. I've been doing it since 2014 and I love it. 

No comments: