Thursday, October 16, 2008

When the photos pile up--sketch them away





Stretch with a Sketch

I love sketches for many reasons. A sketch along with a select group of papers and elements can I love sketches for many reasons. A sketch along with a select group of papers and elements can streamline the process of creating scrapbook pages. Sketches are my crutch when I have more photos than I can envision scrapping within the next 10 years...wry smile


Sketches provide the scrapbook artist with boundaries yet they enhance and stretch your design skills at the same time. I often create sketches on 3" square sticky notes--just a rough idea of placement that works as a guide for what I want on the page. However, when gifted with an overwhelming number of photos, I resource the professionals.


There are plenty of sources for sketches in magazines, books, and online. One of my favorite spots is the Gettin Sketchy blog http://gettinsketchy.blogspot.com/ for sketch artists. Most often, I cruise through their entries and use one from months past to jump start my pages, however, this month I actually used the current sketch to make my two page layout. I'm even entering this in their monthly contest.


Check out their blog and give sketches a try yourself. Plus, as an added bonus, they have cool music playing if you keep the blog open.


About these layouts

These two pages utilize the same sketch which I flipped to fit the direction of photos. I've been using another "photo overload" tool which is keeping the majority of supplies within a single product line and color scheme. I used K and Company papers from a tablet along with textured card stock from WorldWin papers, Stickles glitter glue, and green vellum. Sakura pens were used for journaling and Ranger's Adirondack Ink was used for distressing. Rub-ons were from a little word book by Art Warehouse. Tools included the Wizard for the circle die cuts and the EK Success paper crimper. My wonderful friend Lynn Barwald made the title words with her klick-n-kut tool. The world is so much brighter when you have friends, isn't it?


There are always a few things the scans don't show and these two layouts are no exception. The glitter that came on some of the papers and that was added on others barely shows. I love my glitter so you can be sure there's more there than you can see. The other thing I did that I hadn't done in a long time was cut out portions of the photos and layering to make 3-D areas on several photos. Since these layouts were about food on the cruise, I popped out the food in three photos.



Tons of photos

I am the proud owner of almost 500 photos from Aug. 2-Aug 11. We had a great wedding and honeymoon and we both love to take and view photos. The professional wedding photos from Palm Beach Photography are still up and available for viewing at http://www.palmbeachphotography.printroom.com/event.asp?domain_name=palmbeachphotography&group_id=19 I haven't posted a link in a few weeks so I thought I'd move that to the top. Tonya and her staff gave us some wonderful views of our special day as part of the CBS 12 Dream Wedding. If you need a talented and cool photographer, I recommend her wholeheartedly.

No comments: