Monday, April 6, 2009

Is it Art?





Trick questions for you and me….

If you spend hours and days on one project and you adore the finished result is that better than creating smaller pieces that might not be your best work, but they’re fun?
If you sell your work and some one pays a ton for it—does that make it “better” than the work you do for yourself?
If you make cards (mail art) from supplies left over from other projects or scraps on your table—does that make them less important?
If you use materials like rubber stamps, photos, stickers, and other embellishments—does that make it less than original art?
Isn’t all art “altered art?” A traditional painter alters a canvas with oils, a tole painter alters wooden shapes or canvas bags with acrylic, a legacy artist alters 12” square cardstock with photos and embellishments, and a photographer alters a photo by cropping and framing.

Pattie Donham,
http://pattiewack.blogspot.com/ the original inventor of blankets with sleeves (smile) sent me to this ExtremeCraft http://extremecraft.typepad.com/ website from her blog. The blog’s title line is: “A compendium of art masquerading as craft, craft masquerading as art & craft extending its middle finger.”

March came in and went out like a lion for me. I had quite a few motivators and I am grateful for the energy. I made a list of all my March projects and before I could finish it I went and made 8 new spring cards to mail for Easter. Cool beans-- or perhaps that should be cool jelly beans.

My March scrapbook layouts are in the post below. I did digital, traditional, and hybrid. I worked predominantly in 12” by 12” except for a wall hanging. I also printed out all my digital layouts in 8” by 8” size to compile in a separate album. I’ve been meaning to do that for a while now.


Artwork Here:


The green square card was created for my brother and sister-in-law. It is truly an ode to my promise of using what I have and revisiting what has made me (and others) happy. The stickers came from a purchase at Paula Massie's store, scrapbook corner back around 2003. The tag is even older. I made it for a Rebeca Sower tag swap right after we moved here in 2001. The post card background is a scanned post card from my grandfather to my grandmother in the 20's.


The "He is Risen" card was made for my parents by recycling an American Greetings card that my Grandma sent Henry and I in 2002. She loved purple, and it was a perfect base for this. She would definitely appreciate the reuse of product. She and I used to make our Christmas cards in this same way together. This was a woman who washed and saved aluminum foil all her life. Grandma never thought of it as recycling, she just did it to "waste not, want not."

I was spurred through this creative spurt in what felt like a rush. I created scrapbook layouts in short amounts of time, I grabbed scraps and assembled ATCs and cards. It just flowed. Sometimes, when that happens, I start to think that my work can’t be valuable because it took such a short time to complete.



I have decided to release that derogatory thought concerning my creativity and take heart in the fact that I love what I make and I really enjoy sharing it
with others too. This passion is a calling, a gift from my great Creator. I will honor it and I know that it is art.


May you enjoy the new life of spring and the renewal of your spirit during this season however you choose to celebrate it.

No comments: